Meet Team Roy: Joseph Mayer



Joseph Mayer has lived in Northbridge since he was seven years old and has joined Team Roy because he cares deeply for the area and the people in it.

"I have lived in the area for the majority of my formative years, and in many ways I do feel as if Northbridge and its many residents have raised me, certainly at least, they have informed my values and my character," he explains. 

"My neighbours and even those I know only from passing at Bonds Corner or down the aisles at Woolies, are compassionate, generous and welcoming. I have grown up with this, and so it is something that I value greatly in the people I meet; a kindness of heart. The community spirit is fantastic."

Growing up, Joseph spent countless burning summer days at Northbridge Baths, exploring the infamous Northbridge bike bumps, the bamboo forest near Tunks, the Knoll near Bonds Corner, and running through the golf course and all its nooks and crannies. 

"But as I've gotten older, I've started to spend more time in the quiet places, particularly Clive Park, which now one of my favourite spots in Northbridge," he adds.

"I'm hoping that Roy will be able to improve local green spaces, and focus on the rejuvenation of our local venues; Willoughy Leisure Centre, Northbridge Baths and the Castlecrag Ampitheatre, among others."

Joseph was a member of Northbridge Sea Scouts when he was younger and more recently he joined the Men's Shed in Northbridge.

"I plan on spending a few days a week there, pottering and building," he says. 

Woodwork is a passion for the full-time student, who is studying a double degree in Law and Security Studies. He also recently launched a cologne brand called AORTA, which is focused on creating a unique, native and wild fragrance reminiscent of the Australian bush. 


"All the materials we use in our products are native, from the fragrance oils to the wood in the cologne bottle," he explains. "We use recycled Australian Red Gum that is taken from old demolition sites and compostable packaging. 

"For as long as I can remember, my family has spent holidays, birthdays and family gatherings in the bush. It has always been our 'great escape'. And as I've gotten older I've started to become more conscious of how remarkable the wild places of Australia are, and how significantly they've affected me. The bush weathers all, and this enduring, timeless essence of the wild is what I've tried to capture in my native fragrance."


Team Roy running mate Roy McCullagh concludes: "I am delighted to be working alongside Joseph on Team Roy. Joseph is a crucial part of our team. He is passionate about the environment and effects of climate change. He cares about others and is involved with many local organisations. He has reached out to the younger voters in Sailors Bay Ward who have up until now, felt marginalised. He has been instrumental in developing our Youth Ambassador program. He is not just a candidate for the future, he is a candidate for now."

Vote 1 for Team Roy at the Willoughby City Council election on December 4, 2021.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Roy launches campaign to clean up Northbridge Plaza carpark

Meet Team Roy: Karen Borg

Team Roy launches the Northbridge Baths Centenary Project 2024